Milan is one of the world’s great commercial cities, and so among the tourists, you will also see many business people heading to the Milan fairs. These take place in and around the city at a variety of locations. Big events might take place at the Fairground in Rho or the MiCo or Milan Convention Centre, while smaller ones are in smaller locations such as hotels.
Milan Expo 2015
In 2015, Milan consolidated its position as an important commercial destination by hosting the Expo of 2015. Held under the theme “Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life”, this prestigious event took place between 1st May and 31st October 2015.
It was held about 15km from Milan in Rho, and 145 countries were represented, each in their own pavilion, as well as civil society organisations and corporations.
Milan Fairs of 2016
Although not on the scale of the 2015 Expo, Milan will host a number of fairs and conventions this year. These include:
- Fashion weeks – men and women have their own fashion weeks, which take place twice a year at locations across Milan.
- MIFUR, the international fur and leather exhibition, takes place at the Fairground Rho in early March.
- Mostra Convegno Expocomfort, a biennial fair of heating, refrigeration, air conditioning and sanitation systems.
- Milan Classic Cars takes place from 18th to 20th March.
- 12th to 17th April is Milan Design Week, including Salone del Mobile and EuroCucina.
- Chibimart, an exhibition of international fashion accessories, takes place at Milan City Fair from 13th to 16th May.
- Xylexpo, a biennial woodworking technology exhibition, takes place at Rho from 24th to 28th May.
- Milano Unica, an Italian textile exhibition, takes place at Milan City Fair from 6th to 8th September.
Don’t forget to buy a MilanoCard whatever your purpose for visiting Milan. This City Pass will allow you to travel for free on Milan’s public transport network and will give you discounts on Milan attractions, restaurants and shops across the city.